Origin of place name: According to the Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names, "Quathiaski" may be a Northern Coast Salish word meaning "island in the mouth," referring to Grouse Island at the entrance to the cove. Another translation is "place on north side of the point."
Pidcock Bros built a cannery on the cove in 1904, and the village that grew up around it was the largest in the area until the mid-1920s when Campbell River emerged as the regional centre.
The cannery changed hands a number of times until it was bought by BC Packers in 1938. It was destroyed by fire in 1941 and not rebuilt.