Seymour Narrows, looking west from Mudge Island towards Vancouver Island. Ripple Rock, most of which was removed by explosives in 1958, lies in an area close to the centre of the photograph.
Seymour Narrows was named for Rear Admiral Sir George Francis Seymour (1787-1870), according to The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names. Seymour was commander-in-chief of the Royal Navy's Pacific Station, 1844-48, then based at Valpariso, Chile. Mount Seymour, Quadra Island's highest point, is named after Seymour as well. A small lake just north of Mount Seymour is locally referred to as Seymour Lake.